Tuned and Ready


Sorry for another late night or early morning post.  Sometimes that happens.  But here's a strange coincidence: the beginning of my day matched the end of my day, and this is a very simple statement to explain.

In institute today, we learned that we are instruments in the hands of the Lord and we need to be in tune in order to be worthy to receive true revelation.  My instructor related us to pianos with the fact that even if an expert pianist were playing an out of tune piano, it still wouldn't sound great.

Just a few moments ago, I was with my roommate/friend correcting some tabs to "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" so that she could learn it and we could play a guitar duet.  Something was wrong with her lowest string, and it took us a while to get it to sound right.  It was because the tuning was off.

But I think we need more than tuning.  We also need practice, or we won't be ready.  My roommate/friend is excellent at picking, and I am not.  Mostly it's because I'm comfortable with strumming, no matter the strumming pattern, but it takes me longer to understand and play a picking pattern.  I know that if I would just stick with it and practice until I developed my skill level a bit further, I could pick as easily as my roommate/friend.

I related that to the gospel too.  If we only serve the Lord in ways that are comfortable to us, we aren't going to learn all of the skills that would make us better instruments in His hands.  It might be awkward at first, but we are here to learn, so we shouldn't worry about making mistakes or being slow.  We should just worry about doing our best for however long it takes for us to master the skills that have been set before us.

So I made a goal to learn a song by picking.  I need to develop the talent of reading tabs and learning picking patterns without being scared or frustrated (too much).  I don't know what song I'll do yet, but I'll pick it by Sunday night.  I'll post what song I've chosen on this blog, so if I forget, give me a hard time.  I don't want to forget about this goal.

Choose to Cleave.
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

0 comments: