Cause of the Poor


Let me quote Proverbs 29:7 before I say what I thought about it.  It's a short one, but it says more than what its length implies:

"The righteous considereth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not to know it."

I'm looking at one word: cause.  The righteous are considering the reason people are poor.  Once the righteous identify the cause, they can eliminate the effect, they can make the poor people not poor anymore.  We can't just give people fish, we have to teach them how to fish, and if they already know how to fish, we then don't you think we should give them a rod?  They can figure the rest out from there.  I believe in helping the poor not just by giving to them, but by helping them become self-sufficient, self-dependent.

The wicked don't look for the cause of poverty.  If they aren't stirred by the Lord's words in Matthew 25, "Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me," then maybe they should continue reading the chapter to discover another verse: "Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me"(v 40, 45, italics added). Personally, I'd be more worried about what I didn't do to the Lord rather than feel content about what I have done for the Lord.

Choose to Cleave.
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

0 comments: