Talents and Abilities


"One of the great tragedies of life, it seems to me, is when a person classifies himself as someone who has no talents or gifts.  When in disgust or discouragement we allow ourselves to reach depressive levels of despair because of our demeaning self-appraisal, it is a sad day for us and a sad day in the eyes of God.  For us to conclude that we have no gifts when we judge ourselves by stature, intelligence, grade-point average, wealth, power, position, or external appearance is not only unfair but unreasonable...

"...Taken at random, let me mention a few gifts that are not always evident or noteworthy but that are very important...:

"The gift of asking; the gift of listening; the gift of hearing and using a still, small voice; the gift of being able to weep; the gift of avoiding contention; the gift of being agreeable; the gift of avoiding vain repetition; the gift of seeking that which is righteous; the gift of not passing judgment; the gift of looking to God for guidance; the gift of being a disciple; the gift of caring for others; the gift of being able to ponder; the gift of offering prayer; the gift of bearing a mighty testimony; and the gift of receiving the Holy Ghost" (Elder Marvin J. Ashton of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in Conference Report, Oct. 1987, 23; or Ensign, Nov. 1987, 20).

Right now I'm studying talents and abilities that I might have, and I'm looking for them in others.  I don't have much to say about it, just another quote that I've been reflecting on:

"During the ages in which we dwelt in the premortal state we not only developed our various characteristics and showed our worthiness and ability, or the lack of it, but we were also where such progress could be observed.... Under such conditions it was natural for our Father to discern and choose those who were most worthy and evaluate the talents of each individual" (Elder Joseph Fielding Smith, then of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, The Way to Perfection [1970], 50-51).

Quick thought on that quote: we've already developed talents and characteristics that Heavenly Father knows about, and since He knows about them, I'm pretty sure He allowed us to come here at this time for a reason, and the reason has to do with our unique talents and abilities.  So I'm keeping an eye out for my talents, what I love doing, and how those things might direct me to fulfill whatever He sent me here to do.

Choose to Cleave
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

0 comments: