Forgive in Hearts


I hear time and time again in the Church to forgive one another that we may be forgive, to forgive all men, to let God judge others for their sins.  I was reading D&C 64 today, and verse 8 jumped off the page and danced a bit for me, kind of shoving itself in my face:

"My disciples, in days of old, sought occasion against one another and forgave not one another in their hearts; and for this evil they were afflicted and sorely chastened."

Hi, my name is Brittany, and I'm not an alcoholic, but I do have a problem with something.  I forgive people out loud, in action, and in every outward manifestation there is possible.  But there are some people who I have not forgiven in my heart.  Is there anyone else in my support group?  Does anyone else have this problem?  I know there is.  I know it because acting out forgiveness is easy, but total forgiveness can be hard to offer.

But I know it's possible, or we wouldn't be commanded to do it.  As Nephi was sure that the Lord would provide a way for him to complete the commandments He had given, I'm sure that the Lord has, does, and always will provide a way for me to forgive others AND to forgive myself. That doesn't mean I know how to forgive in my heart yet, but I know that as long as I try and I don't give up, it is possible as long as I have patience and trust in the Lord and myself to overcome my injustices.

Because the second half of D&C 64:8 is true.  The unforgiving heart will always be afflicted with sorrow, anger, hatred, animosity...the list goes on.  And maybe I won't be chastised for an unforgiving heart in this life, but come judgment, I'll be chastised and it will not make it easy for me to be forgiven my sins.

Choose to Cleave.
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

1 comments:



Connie Babe said...

I'm telling you...sometimes, the best I can do is: "I forgive you for being a nasty mean bitter person."

lol...

No, serious...sometimes, that's the best I can do. And I hang onto that until enough time has passed that I can deal with the hurt and actually forgive for real.


You'll be fine. If you're working on it, then They know that. And remember my number one: They only require the best we can do...and that varies from time to time...however, They also are fully aware of what our best is at any given time, so we can't fake them out by saying "That's my best" when it was really just being lazy. :)