Spiritual Everything


From Elder Howard W Hunter, then of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

"Man distinguishes between the temporal and the spiritual, probably because living in mortality between the spiritual pre-existence and the spiritual life hereafter, he fails to recognize the full significance of his activities during the years he spends on earth..."

"...There is no way we can separate the activities of worship on the Sabbath day from the many pursuits of the weekday by calling one religious and the other temporal.  Both are spiritual.  God has ordained them thus, for they consist of our thoughts and actions as we wend our way through this part of eternity.  Thus our business transactions, our daily labors, our trade or profession, or whatever we do become part of living the gospel," (in Conference Report, Oct. 1961, 109).

Reflecting on this, I can't help but think that no matter what I do on what day, I should be able to keep a spiritual perspective.  I feel anxious (which is a worry word) and excited at the same time knowing that everything I do can and should contribute to my spiritual growth.  Plus, everything I do should be in accordance with what I believe, so I can work on only doing things I would want to call spiritual in the long run.  For example, my education is definitely contributing to my knowledge and hopefully wisdom.  My jobs and volunteer experience allow me to develop skills that are already becoming useful in my church calling.  My leisure time should be more spiritual.  That's what I studied and thought about today.

Choose to Cleave.
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

1 comments:



Connie Babe said...

this is why i am freaking out inside!!!