Emotionally, Mentally, Physically, and Spiritually


Has anyone wondered the difference between might and strength?  I have.  Today D&C 4:2 has been going through my head, and it's come up in lots of places throughout my life.  "...serve Him with all your heart, might, mind and strength..."

I know that this verse is mainly concerned with missionary work, but I can still serve Him even though I'm not a missionary.  So I'd like to follow this scripture, but it's hard to follow scriptures when you don't completely understand them.  I don't want to serve Him with double strength and no might (or vice versa) because I think might is the same thing as strength.

Luckily, my friend-roommate had an answer for me.  She said that strength is your ability and that might is your will.  She also said that you can substitute "heart" with emotionally (and desire), "mind" with mentally, "strength" with physically, and "might" with spiritually (and will).

I remember one of my wards was very service oriented.  That ward worked so hard to serve the Lord and others around them that one of the Bishop's counselors compared the ward's strength to an ant.  I'm pretty sure ants focus all of their entire being on their job.  They are determined creatures, they are strong, and I'm always amazed when I see one of them carrying anything, even if what they're carrying seems pointless to me, like a leaf.  Maybe the ant thinks it's pointless to carry the leaf, too.  But it trusts its instincts.  It trusts that it's headed in the right direction and that the leaf will benefit the rest of its colony.  I should be more like that ant.

Choose to Cleave.
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

1 comments:



Karilyn said...

Brittany,

What a great writing, you have a talent!

I especially like what you wrote about the "heart, might, mind, and strength" and the four relative words we recognize much easier.

Wonderful page here~