An Assault on the Defenseless


I know this post is late in the day (or early in the morning), but at least I'm doing it.  I really thought about just going to bed, but I'm keeping this promise to myself tonight.  I'm posting every day that I possibly can (and I count a day as a measure of the time period that I am awake).

But I'm still keeping this short, because I really am tired.

Today I read a scripture that reminded me of a random Liahona article I read on Sunday.  Doctrine & Covenants 59:6--"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Thou shalt not steal neither commit adultery, nor kill, nor do anything like unto it."

The article was on abortion, how even if a mother doesn't perceive that she is actually killing the baby, abortion is like unto killing, which we have been commanded not to do.  The article was by Elder Russell M. Nelson, and he explained some rare cases when abortion could be acceptable, such as when the mother's health is threatened, physically or mentally (mentally as in she was a victim of rape/incest and she would not be able to mentally cope, and this must be verified by a proper professional).  Click here if you would like to read it (in English).  It's called "Abortion: An Assault on the Defenseless."  I know several people who wouldn't agree with this article, but I agree with it.  I don't know what more to say than Elder Nelson said in this article.  It touches all of the reasons that I cannot support abortion.

Choose to Cleave
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

1 comments:



Connie Babe said...

One of the things that I'm grateful for is: That I don't have to worry about judging people for this...I turn that one over to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

You were raised by a mom who is completely against abortions...however...I don't know that I could vote against it because I don't want someone that I love making, in my opinion, a poor choice and paying for it with their lives in some dark alley. And then, I will not put myself in a place of judgement over someone who has been raped or abused. I don't know their mindframe.

I am of the opinion that there are so many couples out there whose hearts are literally breaking from the ache of wanting to have child, so I just think that instead of killing the baby, give it to a home where they will be loved and cherished. Even though that is a kind of hell of it's own, to give away one's child. Although...if you're okay with killing it, then you should be okay with giving it away?

I don't know. I'm glad I never have been there. My heart goes out to those who have been there because I have 2 dear friends who made that decision...and it still haunts them 20 years later.

Hushing now...love you!