Teach


I have a system worked out for this blog: read, highlight, then post about what I highlighted.  I'm pretty good at steps one and two...so now I have quite a few highlighted areas in my scriptures to catch up on.

D&C 88:78 says "Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand."

I was really excited about the promise in this scripture, and it stuck in my head until I started thinking that one of the differences between the great teachers and the so-so teachers might be diligence.  I know that most teachers try to make their classes good ones, but sometimes trying doesn't seem to cut it.  There must be a difference between trying and diligence.  So I looked up the meaning of diligence. The definition I found has 3 parts:

1. Conscientious in paying proper attention to a task; giving the degree of care required in a situation
2. Persevering determination to accomplish a task
3. Application; a diligent effort--"It is a job requiring serious application."

So I think teaching is a "job requiring serious application," which means we can't settle ourselves in with excuses of "I'm too busy," and "It won't be hard."  It is a job that requires a degree of attention and care in order to succeed, which means that we can't just read through a lesson and be prepared because we "know" what it is about.  And teaching a great lesson doesn't include a one-time performance.  There must be a "persevering determination."  Persevering implies that there is time passing in which the determination doesn't fail.  I take this to mean that from week to week, you never lose the desire to teach well, and you don't stop looking for ways to prepare yourself.

Teaching is important, and teachers who apply themselves with diligence can be blessed with the knowledge of that which is expedient for them to understand.  I also know that teaching will bless them in other countless ways.

Choose to Cleave.
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

1 comments:



Connie Babe said...

grandpa ward made an observation that has been bothering me...since i'm a teacher.

he said that lately, he's disappointed in how little the scriptures are used in lessons. how people use other books, or stories, etc. that they don't rely on the scriptures.

then, on sunday, my lovely relief society president gave a WONDERFUL lesson..that completely revolved around the scriptures! showed me how it could be interesting, insightful and everyone involved.

course, i'm still terrified for my own sunday school class. i need to know my old testament better...