Eye for an Eye


"For if you keep my commandments you shall receive of his fulness, and be gloried in me as I am in the Father; therefore, I say unto you, you shall receive grace for grace"(D&C 93:20).

I just have two thoughts on this, the second of them stemming from my interest in spelling.  First thought: the last sentence seemed italicized when I read it in the scriptures (not really slanted, but it seemed different and stood out somehow).  "...you shall receive grace for grace."

You know that eye for an eye rule?  I looked at "grace for grace" that way.  If you do your best to live with grace, act with grace, think with grace....whatever it is you can do with grace, if you give it, you will receive it.  Simple enough, right?  But I love that sentence.  I feel like those few words contain chapters of meaning, meaning that isn't expressed in words, but felt and observed and reflected on.

Second thought: "fulness" is spelled like it is the ending of a word, -fulness, that generally implies the quality of being full of something.  Like thankfulness, helpfulness, sorrowfulness...there are a lot of -fulness words.  I know that these scriptures were written a long time ago and fulness is most likely an alternative spelling of fullness, but isn't it interesting to think that the promise in the scriptures refers to us receiving the qualities of God?  Because isn't that what we're really striving for?  We are children of a god, and children have the inherent right within their very genetics to become as their parents are. We are like flower buds.  We are cute when we are so little, but we are beautiful when we are done blossoming.  Buds aren't meant to stay buds (unless we are talking about buds as in buddies--friends can stay buds). I hope to receive the -fulness of my Heavenly Father.

Choose to Cleave.
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

1 comments:



Connie Babe said...

quite possibly, my favorite quote:

Every single moment of our lives, whether born of joy or pain, has the potential for grace realized.