The Garden


"The Garden [does] for Easter what The Forgotten Carols has done for Christmas..."

To understand that statement (from an item description of The Garden soundtrack), I will briefly explain what the Forgotten Carols are for those of you who do not know:

The Forgotten Carols is a musical written and composed by Michael McClean.  It's about a nurse who has nothing better to do on Christmas so she takes care of an old man (assisted living or whatever).  This old man is perceived as going crazy as he ages, and he tells her stories about ornaments on his Christmas tree, each of them representing "forgotten" moments and characters in the story of Christmas.  There's a song about an infertile woman who gets the chance to hold Mary's baby.  A song about Joseph, saying that he could never consider himself a father of the Christ child because he learned more from the child than he could ever hope to teach as a father.  There's a song about a wise man left behind because he was sleeping, one who is left to imagine what it would've been like to see the Baby in a manger.  There's a song pleading everyone to let Christ into their Inns.  It's amazing.

So, what The Forgotten Carols is to Christmas, The Garden is to Easter.  The Garden is a musical by the same artist and it is simply amazing.  I've listened to it since I was a child.  I would duet with my mothers and sisters.  I was listening to it today and one of my dear roommates looked at me a little funny because she has never heard of it.

I wholeheartedly recommend this musical, and The Forgotten Carols, to anyone who is in the least bit interested in a good natured album of music.  It has helped me learn things about the Atonement, about myself, and about my relationship with Heavenly Father, Christ, and the Prophets.  I could never write anything beautiful enough to explain just how wonderful it is.

Choose to Cleave.
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

2 comments:



Connie Babe said...

one of the few cd's that i have worn out.

some of my favorite music.

Jaycey said...

I really want to be the seedling in a performance someday.