Puzzled


D&C 89:15: "...study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues, and people."

In the past, I've had discussions with people regarding scriptures and how they help me become a better person.  Sometimes I've expressed interest in reading things from other religions, maybe some Buddhist stuff, to see what kind of things they can teach me about being a better person.  Some people encouraged me, some people laughed, and there were some people who freaked out a little and asked if I was okay and if my testimony was strong and if I was looking to convert to something else.  It was funny because they were so puzzled.  They couldn't understand that I would want to read something for another religion without being interested in actually converting to that religion.

I just wanted to make note of this scripture as I came across it, because we've been told to seek out the good books of the world.  Just because they are from a different religion doesn't mean they won't benefit us.  Not saying to go join another Church because they have something right. I believe most if not all religions have some truth and goodness in them, otherwise they wouldn't have followers.  But we've got the truth all put together here.  As we learn more about the gospel, we learn more about how the puzzle pieces fit together.  And as we learn more of the good things the world has to offer, the easier that puzzle will be to solve.

Choose to Cleave.
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

1 comments:



Connie Babe said...

email michael...he's looked into many religions...he could probably recommend a book.