Ignor


"The beauty of the gospel of Jesus Christ is that it pours knowledge into our souls and shows things in their true light. With that enhanced perspective, we can discern more clearly the choices before us and their consequences. We can, therefore, make more intelligent use of our agency. Many of God’s children fall into unanticipated traps and unhappiness because they either lack or ignore gospel light. They are unaware of their options or are confused about the outcomes of their choices. Ignorance effectively limits their agency"(D. Todd Christofferson, "Moral Agency," Ensign, Jun 2009).

I know that most of my problems in life are my fault--I've been ignorant of something the gospel teaches, or I've ignored what I've learned.  Strange how ignorance and ignore use the same root, isn't it?  Just like the saying money is the root of all evil, maybe ignor is the root of all problems.  I've been looking up what ignor or ig might mean in Latin, but that is my assumption that the Latin language holds the answers.  I couldn't find this word, but the word ignorance is based on the word ignore, so I know the history of this word will be interesting if I can figure it out.  I will have to ask my linguistics professor from last year if he knows anything about it.

The point is, though, that I think ignor is the root of our problems, and the simple answer to fighting ignor is to become educated, to study the gospel and be educated in the world.  But that isn't simple.  You can't just expose yourself to the answers.  You have to study them out in your mind and think about how to apply them.   If you don't apply them, you'll forget, and that's just as bad as being ignorant or ignoring what you know.  If you can't read the stop sign, that doesn't mean you'll be safe not obeying it.

Choose to Cleave.
*Read my first post, "Preface," for more information about Cleaving

0 comments: